Squadron Earns Unit Citation Award
Post date: Jul 7, 2014 1:38:52 AM
For the third time in the squadron's history, a Unit Citation Award streamer has been added to the squadron guidon for outstanding performance in the three missions of the Civil Air Patrol - aerospace education, cadet programs, and emergency services.
Ohio Wing Commander Colonel Theodore Shaffer presented the award to the squadron and tied the new streamer onto the squadron guidon during a recent ceremony. Over 150 current and former members of the squadron are now eligible to wear the Unit Citation Award on their uniforms in recognition of the teamwork that earned the squadron the award.
The citation for the award reads as follows:
The Youngstown ARS Composite Squadron has distinguished itself between the dates of 1 May 2012 and 5 August 2013 with the following:
- Squadron drill team placing second at the 2012 National Cadet Cadet Competition
- Community events including Newton Falls Cemetery flag placement (May 2012 and May 2013), Boardman Cemetery cleanup (May 2012), the War on Hunger charity event (September 2012), and the 2013 910th Airlift Wing Family Day.
- Participation in the August 2012 and October 2012 ES training events, February and April 2013 Group III ES training, and the June 2013 Ohio Wing SAREVAL.
- Nationally-ranked CyberPatriot team (#3 out of 200+ Civil Air Patrol Teams) in March 2013
- Co-first place champions with the squadron drill team for the 2013 National Cadet Competition.
- Only squadron in the Wing to field a competition-level color guard, drill team, and CyberPatriot team all in the same time period.
- Squadron members worked with other Wing members to plan, execute, and co-host (along with Camp Ravenna) the 2013 Ohio Wing Encampment.
- Both 2013 Brewer Awards were earned by squadron members.
- Two squadron members received Balsem Awards in 2013 for public affairs excellence.
The above items clearly show that the squadron far exceeds other squadrons in dedication to the three missions of the Civil Air Patrol and whose members tirelessly devote themselve to the Core Values of the Civil Air Patrol, especially the core value of Volunteer Service. It is the dedication of the entire unit working together that has made the squadron known around the nation as a leader in excellence of the Civil Air Patrol.